Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A love/ hate relationship, at the moment

I really do love my job. It's just that, at this time, I would rather be teaching my own child than teaching other people's children. My poor students. They are so wonderful. Today, I came into the classroom and I had two students who were there early and so they just started to continue work that we had begun the day before. In other schools, the kids would have taken advantage of a teacher not being in her room to steal materials or go crazy in the coatroom. My kids sit at their seats and start to work without being told to do so. They really are great. I love what I do, thank goodness. It makes going to work a little bit easier. Tuesdays are always a tad bit easier than Mondays. It's still hard to get up in the morning and leave the I-man with someone else, but it's slightly more manageable. Wednesday will be better.

I often think about what my life would be like if I was able to stay home with the baby. Would I then resent being a stay at home mom? Would I feel like I wasn't contributing to my household? Would I not feel smart anymore? Perhaps I wouldn't feel like a professional or maybe I would question my professional standing. All of those things make me nervous, but in the end, I think that I would still be happier spending my days with my own child instead of other's children. Alas, none of these things matter because the reality of my situation is that I have to work. Good thing I like my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment